Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Supportive Housing spurs Development

I bet you thought you had heard it all about Supportive Housing in Nanaimo's north end. 

Guess what?  

There’s more. It is stimulating growth - new opportunities for development and tax revenue.

During the 2011 civic election campaign I petitioned in favour of the Uplands Supportive House.  I called on about 1000 homes and businesses in the area around the planned location at Uplands Drive at Hammond Bay Rd. This location is near the centre of the image below where the brown, yellow and pink connect. Most of the big orange area is Woodgrove Mall.




This image is a zoning map.  The colours represent the different uses that are allowed under Nanaimo's zoning bylaw. Brown is agricultural (farming). Yellow is residential (houses, apartments). Pink is community service (schools, library, fire halls). The brown shaded area at the centre is the home of Green Thumb Nursery. 

It has been the home of the current owner since 1959.   The owner declined to sign my petition that day in November and expressed a readiness to sell the property and move. In the weeks since then I have come to realize that the comment was serious, that time and money has gone into preparing for a move.  

I choose to believe that several factors brought this on and that the supportive housing location is neither the main or even a significant reason. Perhaps it is a straw, as in "the straw that broke the camel's back."  I can relate to the situation in that like my own, the family has several generations.  I have learned to respect 3 different perspectives - the veteran wisdom, the youthful will and the responsibility of being in between.  

When I realized a move was serious, I took a different point of view. I looked at the map again and asked okay, what would I want to see where that big brown patch is? What colour would I make it? Woodgrove Mall is Nanaimo's #1 Taxpayer with almost $4 Million/yr or 3.1% of the $128 Million total collected.  I know a big water bill is coming so more tax revenue is good - right?

I got the appraisal and made a few calls. I do know people that have done and are doing things like buying, selling and building golf courses, shopping centres, care homes and hotels. This led to a call from someone in big "D" Development.  

As a small "d" developer I know the recipe or process for adding value to land. The result can be a tasty blend of profit, growth and opportunity - a win, win, win for business, families and the community as a whole.  







No comments:

Post a Comment