Sunday, October 26, 2014

Good NEWCASTLE ISLAND question. Whats in it for Jim?

  • Penelope Mutschler A lot of my friends are considering you but your stand on building a bridge to Newcastle is a worry.. That is such a beautiful and pristine place and the idea it takes a little effort to get to it makes it special .the sailing community which is vast always talks about the beauty of this ( marine ) park .. I know sailors from the eu and New Zealand, Australia who love it.. Is your company building it ?? Are you in anyway profiting from this..so many of my friends and there friends are not happy about this.
    12 hrs · Like · 1
  • Jim Routledge Good questions Penelope Mutschler, a natural connection to make but in fact not so. My love for Newcastle goes back to 1986 when I was hired as Executive Director of the Pavillion Society. (NIPS) I hired a food operator, put on dances, weddings-generally promoted Newcastle. I got money & support from a dozen civic groups groups to do a Plan. This plan is on my website- it's called the LEAD study. It was approved by BC Parks & the Society. That's really what I want- a reason to stop, learn & love Nanaimo history. I respect democracy and the market to figure out how to get there. I really did put the horse before the cart last election or in this case the bridge before the reason to go ... Does that help?
    11 hrs · Like
  • Penelope Mutschler So you love this island then.. We first came to nanaimo by sailboat to visit our son who was a student here.. We saw the beauty of this island and town from a different light then anyone who sees it by ferry .. We were so enchanted that we returned to the Sunshine Coast sold our waterfront property and moved here.. We've never looked back.. We have never stayed very long in one place but finally now have found our place of focus and sanctuary . Fourteen years later .. We're still enamoured with this town.. It was Newcastle that started this romance and we've met a lot of like
    minded people who also have come here because they saw the beauty and potential of this town .. We've seen the waterfront development taking place and hoping it doesn't destroy the storybook picture this towns waterfront has.. What makes our waterfront so special is or was to many it's quaintness ..no huge towers ,the lighthouse bistro, our bastion , the little green pickle boats . The park .. We want a mayor who protects this not tears it down for big business..
    11 hrs · Like
  • Jim Routledge Good comments Penelope Mutschler, that's real. There is such good reason to be careful, cautious & critical of any plan to "develop" Newcastle. There is equally pressing cause to share this treasure in a measured & responsible manner. I know I am playing with fire here- I hope you feel better knowing that I do have a plan, love and commitment to doing it right. Please keep an open mind on this - just give me a chance to show you what I want - explaining this is a losing proposition. One of the first things I would do if elected is to have a public open house/ e-town hall meeting to properly after all these years present the LEAD study. I have been waiting since 1986 to show the people who wanted the study what was actually done and approved. It's really cool.
    10 hrs · Like · 1
  • Penelope Mutschler Thank you for your response .
    10 hrs · Like
  • Jim Routledge

No comments:

Post a Comment