Friday, October 31, 2014

Good step, Tough Job - someone has to do it.



Jim Routledge
Candidate for Nanaimo Mayor 2014

PRESS RELEASE

Jim Routledge                                                                     Oct. 20, 2014

Candidate for Mayor of Nanaimo – Press Release

City Manager has to go!

I’ve made no secret of the fact that one of the key planks in my platform is ousting the current city manager and hiring the best we can find – with an MBA at minimum.

Given the results we have seen at City Hall, it’s quite simple to extrapolate that any business owner or Board of Directors would take a similar action. We have consistently seen poor and slow results – not to mention outright errors and poor judgment. Even when errors aren’t the direct result of the city manager’s actions, he must ultimately take responsibility for the actions of his staff – and for the hiring of that staff.

In fact, I question the hiring of the current manager in the first place – no job search, no job competition – simply putting in place the next person “in line.” This is no way to run a city.

The Leadercast debacle is just one example of a system failure - the real telling thing about that is that there was no move taken to change anything to indicate what went wrong. This error must land squarely at Ted Swabey’s feet. As for the subsequent “cover-up” and lack of information to the public, that is simply a deliberate lack of open and honest communication – but that’s a different topic.

When I make mistakes, I assess what went wrong and do something different; I make a change. I take responsibility for my errors.


I have seen nothing as a result of Leadercast or other slow and poor results. I have heard many calls for a core review at City Hall. I propose to start by hiring an extremely able and competent city manager who can turn this ship around and work with Mayor and Council as a fully functioning team.

No comments:

Post a Comment