Monday, November 7, 2011

RTE Bylaw 7143 - Ruttan's ruination

EDC Snubbed

Either the EDC is being snubbed or Ruttan wants desperately to throw good money after bad. Either way Bylaw 7143 – the Revitalization Tax Exemption Bylaw shows bad timing and a clear lack of leadership by Mayor Ruttan

This is not a good way to welcome our newest civic leader, the Nanaimo Economic Development Corporation's CEO, Susan Cudahy.  If I were she, I'd be wondering if Nanaimo has any manners at all.

A city like Nanaimo has few real Economic Development tools to work with. One was grabbed from Susan Cudahy last Monday night, further complicating her job by giving away 10 years of tax revenue on all new hotel/motel developments over $2 Million

I doubt Susan has had time since assuming her position Oct 14, to even meet most of the people in her new world, let alone get to know them or set up any systems, structure and procedures. I wonder if she has even had a board meeting let alone set a game plan, strategy or goals. Sure, she has the Economic Development Strategy Report. This is about as useful as having a recipe but no kitchen, pantry, utensils, garbage can or workbench to even begin to work with. Then before she can even start, City Hall pulls parts out of the stove.

John Ruttan did a good thing setting up the EDC. I am really wondering now if it was dumb luck. Does he even know what it’s for? The EDC was to be the Economic Development “decision making machine.” The Mayor & Council would no longer have to squirm under the pressure of making decisions like this that they are ill equipped to make. Eliminating 10 years of tax revenue from New Developments could amount to a lot of money. Is it smart? Who picks up the tab – the taxpayer? Is it part of a plan? Or is it an act of desperation by a mayor grasping at straws to save a bad idea.

Please let me be clear here – giving away 10 years of taxes may well be the best idea since sliced bread. I'm simply wondering why we are we not letting the expensive baker we hired make that call. Let her decide if we need it, if it makes sense, if it is consistent with or integral to our Goals and Strategies moving forward. After doing nothing for two years waiting for the EDC to lead the way, why do we give the new CEO a “Hilliard Graves hip-check” as she is coming out of the gate for her first shift on the ice.

A sign on CNN founder Ted Turner's desk reads - Lead, Follow or Get the Hell out of the Way. Mayor Ruttan has jumped right in the way on this one either by design or neglect. He either wanted this tax reduction bylaw or neglected to stop it. If it wasn't his idea, then he certainly should have stopped it.

As far as the actual RTE is concerned I really feel that Volker Grady, the manager of the Coast Bastion Hotel has the right idea – people come to stay in his rooms not because they are empty but because they have a reason to; they have something that interests them and draws them here. I learned that at any given time there are 12 “interested parties” monitoring what is going in in Nanaimo to see if there is a reason to build a hotel. If the demand is there, one will get built regardless of whether there is a “SALE” on the tax and land.

I think this is yet another example of the inappropriate use of a tool by Nanaimo council. The EDC has been severely snubbed and is owed an apology. I’d support Susan if she were to be brave and say to staff, council and the Mayor, “Please put the RTE bylaw down and step away before you hurt yourself”

12 comments:

  1. From: "John Ruttan"
    Date: November 9, 2011 9:43:14 AM PST
    To: "Jim Routledge"
    Subject: ELECTION ISSUES

    Good Morning Jim,

    I had the opportunity to read your blog and your attack on me. I am surprised, as I cannot recall seeing this type of personal attack ever in local municipal politics.

    I truly believe that for the most part, you and I support similar initiatives. My real concern is the strong support that Roger MacKinnon is receiving in the North end. The front page of today's "Nanaimo Daily News" is suggesting that this is a one issue election....supportive housing, something that both you and I support.

    If you and I become involved in a smear campaign, the clear winner in my opinion will be Roger. His stated plans are to terminate all supportive housing projects, slash senior staff at City Hall and institute a "0" tax increase for 3 years. How he will address the large CUPE and IAFF (Fire Fighters) labour contracts currently under negotiation is a mystery.

    I am advised that Roger is committing more money to his campaign than you and I combined.

    Under your leadership, I would suggest that there would not be any radical changes in City policy. I do not share this same view with Roger.

    Far be it for me to tell you how to run your campaign. I just wanted to share these thoughts with you.

    Good luck,

    John Ruttan

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: Jim Routledge
    Date: 9 November, 2011 10:10:25 AM PST
    To: John Ruttan
    Subject: Re: ELECTION ISSUES

    Good to hear from you John - I agree with your perceptions, thanks for making them clear.

    I have gone on record at length praising your accomplishments. It's time to sell myself now. I know you have doubts about various issues. I intend to give voters a clear choice.

    What else can I do?

    Regards

    Jim Routledge cel 250 616 2151
    Candidate for Mayor of Nanaimo 2011
    www.jimroutledge.com
    www.jimsworld2012.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @JimRoutledge
    Facebook: Jim Routledge for Mayor
    6021 Hammond Bay Rd., Nanaimo, BC, Canada, V9T 5M4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have had more respect for Mr. Ruttan if he addressed how you smeared him and why you were wrong to do so. Instead he is more concerned about splitting the vote and letting Roger up the middle. Trust you know that there are a lot of north enders that support JIM for Mayor, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From:
    http://mckinnonfornanaimo.blogspot.com/
    Monday, 14 November 2011
    John's "Dear Jim" Letter

    I was surprised to read this letter from Mayor John Ruttan to fellow candidate Jim Routledge in a blog. The alleged ‘smear’ was a well-deserved criticism of the mayor’s recent forays into economic development strategies shortly after taking credit for creating the ‘arms-length’ Economic Development Corporation. It seemed a bit heavy-handed to me to label simple dissent as a ‘smear’ and significant incorrect references to my platform and candidacy piqued my interest.

    Quite simply, I do not believe this is a one-issue election. Current mayor and council have managed business so that the focus has been mostly turned to the Uplands low barrier housing project in a time frame coinciding with the election. They have employed strategies that could only result in community division. This must stop. We need transparency and trust in order to move forward. Social housing yes, closed doors to the community – no.

    This election is about getting on with the business of creating jobs for the short and long term through aggressive economic development. It’s about a commitment to reduce our annual property tax increases to zero percent within three years. (Read that statement closely John.) It’s not about cutting employment at city hall or anywhere else.

    Mayor Ruttan mentions that neither he nor Jim would institute any radical changes at City Hall. That is exactly what this election is about. We can continue to do things just as we have in the past and expect the same results. Or, we can seek change, define a vision of that, and move towards that vision as a community. I suggest that residents, like myself, feel it is time to do that now.

    Finally, I certainly hope I’m NOT spending more than the two of you. It does cost a lot to communicate, and overcoming misinformation like that in the mayor’s blog response, just increases the time and money one must invest just to get the story straight at election time.

    Roger McKinnon, Candidate
    Mayor of Nanaimo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good first blog Roger - I just wish we had another month in the campaign to learn more of your current thoughts on various specific issues and opportunities.

    Its nice you agree with my "well deserved criticism" of John. I do feel I have earned the right to make such constructive comments as I have been very close to council this past 2 years and have worked hard to achieve 2 significant victories - Public EV Charging & Zoning Bylaw 4500.

    In this time I have attended and actively participated in every TAC (Transportation Advisory Committee) meeting, most PNAC (Plan Nanaimo Advisory Committee) meetings, most Council meetings and at least one of each of the Heritage Commission, Social Planning Advisory Committee, Parks-Recreation and Culture Commission and the Advisory Committee on Environment Sustainability.

    I know you spoke today of work with Mayor Joy Leach some 20 years ago - I hope your comments above are derived from more current experience with the our civic government process.

    What recent experience and "wins" for Nanaimo have you had?


    Regards

    Jim Routledge 250 616 2151
    Candidate for Mayor of Nanaimo 2011
    jim@jimroutledge.com
    www.jimroutledge.com
    www.jimsworld2012.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @JimRoutledge
    FaceBook: Jim Routledge for Mayor
    6021 Hammmond Bay Rd.,
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada V9T 5M4

    ReplyDelete
  6. The qualities, experience and community service background I offer to the voter are clearly presented on my website www.mckinnonfornanaimo.com so I won't go into detail here at the expense of your blog space.

    You are to be commended for the time you've spent at those meetings you've listed. I have worked with this city hall and several other municipalities on major economic development projects for many years as a matter of fact. I've been successful at building consensus and finding mutual benefits to help businesses and the community achieve their goals.

    My apologies for not responding sooner or more frequently. Right now, replies are prioritized on the likelihood of winning a vote and I'm pretty sure you've already made your final decision Jim.

    -Roger McKinnon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Roger - I commend you too for doing what you do with commitment and tenacity. You are a pro - I would not dare question your touch or saavy with big project marketing. I've seen you in action. That big deal action may well tip the scale in this election. Jimsworld is small by any comparison.

    I am totally focused on winning votes and need to make it very clear what our differences are.

    I have been in the trenches while you have been lobbing bombs.
    I have been getting to know staff while you lunch with Mayors.
    I have been making Bylaws to improve Nanaimo, you have been making money.....ok you got me there, call me crazy to be doing this for free.

    I do have direct recent experience with the people, procedures and processes here in Nanaimo. Even as a back seat driver, I've managed to get the bus to where I want it to go - twice in only the past couple of months, I am on a roll.

    John has more experience than both of us on the actual details of the job. I know that there are many people that will vote for him because of the learning curve, the time it takes to learn how to drive the bus. I know that my leg up on him is that I am a better leader with clear stands on the issues- I know what I want and am constantly working towards it.

    John might be up on me but I am clearly up on you re: current experience. I've done my apprenticeship, I know the roles that staff, elected officials and members of the public play in our game. I've actually pushed and pulled with staff to "work" motions & initiatives thru the maze of "jurisdiction, legislation & procedures". My learning curve will be short.

    I have a to do list, I am aware of the current status of every meaningful piece of "work-in-progress" and I have already made it clear that not only do I know how to drive the bus, I have the turn signal on.


    Regards

    Jim Routledge 250 616 2151
    Candidate for Mayor of Nanaimo 2011
    jim@jimroutledge.com
    www.jimroutledge.com
    www.jimsworld2012.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @JimRoutledge
    FaceBook: Jim Routledge for Mayor
    6021 Hammmond Bay Rd.,
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada V9T 5M4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Councillors make bylaws for free? I thought you got paid a salary?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good point, I am a general public person. Mayor is the only job I've ever been interested in. The time was well spent, no complaints. Next week though, my time is going to cost somebody!!
    Regards
    Jim Routledge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to finally come clean: The RTE Bylaw 4300 was no accident, staff idea or "council" initiative, Mayor Ruttan clearly wants to give away the farm. Listen for yourself: The topic runs from the 20% to the 33% mark of this broadcast. http://chly.ca/podcast-post-nanaimo-civic-election-wrap-up-with-tali-campbell/

    The RTE Bylaw #4300 has had 3 of the 4 required readings. The final move could happen in a heartbeat. It is not on the agenda for Monday Nov 28 Council meeting but could be added late - watch for tweets, follow me on Twitter: @JimRoutledge Be prepared to come down and speak out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good numbers Jim - RTE Bylaw is #7143.

    ReplyDelete