Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kelowna connections - more Supportive Housing success

Good thing I have a Westy - a 91' Westphalia Syncro Camper Van.  The "syncro"means 4 wheel drive and freedom to get off the grid.  The trip to Kelowna, after the Chamber speech, was on the grid but it was so nice to have a couple hours sleep on the ferry from Duke Point in a "real" bed and then a few more at around Hope.  I got up early Friday and arrived in Kelowna as the work day was starting.  The Westy doubled as a dressing room, coffee shop and office with internet & power connections.  It saved me hours thru a day's meetings with several key Kelowna Supportive Housing staff and operators.

I had an appointment with a Kelowna planner - a lady somewhat like John Horn with huge responsibility and heart of gold to match.  The 20 minutes she gave me was precious.  I learned that there was a guy who introduced another guy who lead to a spreadsheet program being written to help evaluate supportive housing sites.  She explained the six month process yet was reluctant to share the actual spreadsheet which immediately told me I didn't need it.  She gave me the name of the guy.  That name was Norm Letnick, he was on Kelowna city council and went on to become the MLA for this area.  I went to the Kelowna Mayors office where Jan the assistant to both the Mayor and the City Manager (their offices are side by each) gave me Mr Letnick's phone number.

I left a big long message explaining why I wanted "the guy's" contact info.  I got a call back from Katja who gave me Norm's email addy.  I sent a similar message via email and late last night got the info I was looking form from Norm.

Before I share that tidbit, I want to relate the rest of the afternoon.  I went to 3 Supportive Housing sites that all looked nice, new & "normal"
1) Willow Bridge/CMHC

2) Tutt St Building / NOW Canada Society

3) Cardington Apartments operated by John Howard Society
This last one was where I met Shelley Cook the Executive Director.  She gave me the tour and shared some history - this is where I found a grain of salt.  Her perspective on the site selection tool I referred to earlier is that it was no magic pill, there were people that questioned the validity of it too. Arghhh, just when I thought I had one.  I realized that the instinct I had earlier was right.  I dont need the tool, I need the process.  The real value may be realized by spending the time, focus and reaping side effects of developing the tool.  Maybe its just in making connections........

So - I think I have a pretty good perspective now - Kelowna with 120,000 people to Nanaimo's 90,000 is like Maya to Julia - These are Pats grandkids that we are visiting in Kelowna.  Maya is 5, Julia is 3.  Maya has been thru some important things that Julia can include in her thinking, in the choices she makes moving forward thru life.  Thats about it, nothing more - just some valuable information to include.

So back to Norm Letnick's site selection analysis connection.  It is Richard Appleby at Okanagan College 250 762 5445.  I called - its the main switchboard and they are closed for the weekend -   Yippee, that means I am done for the weekend and can enjoy some family connections....... Gawd this is fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment