Friday, September 16, 2011

Black Rock - character building or just crazy






Good moment captured by fellow rower Bruce Goard near Sudbury Ontario. Yes thats me - I was there last month participating in a rehearsal for the FISA (stands for World Rowing Association in another language) 2012 Masters Rowing Tour. We stopped for a swim during a day of rowing the French River area.

The drop is about 40 feet - I followed Joanne - a crazy doctor from Guelph, off the cliff. She came up spluttering and gasping having knocked the wind out of herself. That was about the worst of it though. The 3 of us, including Richard from Ottawa were hooting with glee after making the plunge.

It is an interesting process for an "analyser" type like me, to ignore certain bits of information that are in total conflict with assessments from other points of view. I mean that from here it looked fun, from up there - terrifying. Yet I went anyways. What is that about?

As I get older my comfort zone gets smaller and harder - for me this was about exercising the courage muscle. Doing things that I know others have done, that I am reasonably well prepared for and that I know will be satisfying to look back on.

It took me about 1/10th of a second after stepping off the cliff to realize that this was going to be fun and that I wanted to do it again. It is funny though - about at the point of this picture I recall vividly thinking that "I really should be there by now","did I do something wrong......" I reanalyzed the entire decision process again in that instant and concluded that altering course was simply not an option - I was committed to see this decision thru.

I simultaneously saw, heard & felt the water's firm embrace slowing me............ ya - going fast is still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment