Tuesday, September 13, 2011

GOOD Process, Balanced Results

Wow - I didnt expect last nights results.  Council voted in favour of 9meters.  Bylaw 4500 is alive and well, unscathed, unmodified, as it was intended.  Like a baby born a bit premature - shaky start but the legs moved last night.

I hoped & planned for such a positive outcome but had serious doubts.

This morning I met with a supporter of the amendment, someone on the opposite side of the issue from me.  The meeting was set up a few days ago just after the public hearing.  I was prepared to do some serious selling in hopes of gaining his support for my cause.   I learned much about that side of the issue.  I found myself selling my side just as hard as if last night's results had been the opposite.  We came away smiling, shaking hands and with new information and ideas to follow up on.  It was a pleasure to have made a good connection.

I do feel both the process and results were good.  I can also say the same about my previous experience before council where I failed to get the results I wanted.   My council vote score on things I wanted is now even at 1 & 1.   It is nice to win - I truly believe in the long term benefits of the decision.  Now I hope that in a year or more from now, that I can show the results I claim are available.  The biggest disservice I can do to the "other side" in this "fight" would be to squander the opportunity that has been won.  That would really be a waste of everyone's time if nothing good came of it.

So, the moral is that the process never ends, challenge and conflict can be good to bring people together and support each other.  Its important to be real, to be honest and to be positive.  Either way life goes on and its just way nicer to feel good.  And that its time to get to work.  

Blogging is ok - I prefer the real thing though :)

regards

Jim R


No comments:

Post a Comment