Tuesday, September 20, 2011

If I pay, I care

Good to see Nanaimo council "up the ante" in the city hall game. For what councillors are paid, who cares what they do.

The people running the show are the real pros. (152 out of 550 staff are over $75k at my last count). The city has a $130Million plus budget - a serious money game. I am willing to admit quickly that money is neither the "only" thing, nor is it the "most important" thing, however it is certainly right up there on the list - worthy of intelligent and careful consideration. So it seems reasonable to me to pay the people charged with the responsibility of guiding the ship enough to make me care. I vote and pay tax to fund the whole operation - I need to seriously care what goes on.

I am sorry but at $23,000 per year I find it difficult to criticize what a councillor does or does not do. The misinformation, the twisted logic and bad decisions are somehow easier to take because they are cheap. I too often walk away thinking "at least I didnt have to pay much for that poor performance"

Nanaimo is growing - the complexity and sophistication of its operation is growing. The time and energy needed to keep up with running it needs to grow. I'd like to see Nanaimo go beyond just keeping up for once, to lead and innovate. I compliment this move to increase Council salaries and challenge the next council to step up their game accordingly - to set a trend of improved standards of operation and accomplishment. Better information, better analysis and better decisions. The efficiency of Nanaimo can improve, the high priced talent and resources we have to work with can deliver more value. It has to start with council and the quality of the work they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment