Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stop the Drop - Why extra height is needed

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "back east, everyone has a basement".  I tended to think that west people are different, that maybe the market here has less clutter and stuff in their lives, and has evolved beyond the ancient easterners.

I recently returned from a trip to Ontario where I visited all 3 of my cousins there.  If they are any indication,  the stories are correct - everyone had a basement.  There were 4 in fact, as one cousin was moving from one place to another.  What was interesting to me was the lifestyle options that this afforded each.  There were things I had never thought of, options I never considered - yeesh just when I thought I had it all figured out the "market" tells me something else.  Having lived in the west almost all my life I really have not seen much of how the other half lives.

 One was what is called a semi-detatched which I call half a duplex, near to downtown Toronto.  Nice old area, brick everywhere.  Family of 4 with 2 teenagers.  The bedrooms on the top or 3rd level served well till the oldest needed space and the basement had a bedroom & bathroom added.  I am sure the family with 2 young ones in a non basement half duplex across the street from me here in Nanaimo, would love to have that option.  Cost to add an unfinished full basement is about 20 to 30% more.  Pretty good value for your money considering it adds 50% more space.

Two & Three was the mover - from a big older rental "rancher" style with a basement which we stayed in along with the contents of the actual home owner and much of my cousins stuff too.  They are moving to another of those semi detached 3 level jobs.  The basement there had a big room and a workshop.  They are recently retired and have a sailboat, so the workshop is a bonus & alot will get stored in that basement when they go to their winter place down south.

Four was a farm, a 3 level home with bedrooms all over that put up the guests that come for the "penning" competitions that we participated in.  No the horses and cattle have do not stay in the basement.  Every "thing" living or mechanical has its own warm place there.  

The point of all this is that space is valuable, space is value.  It gives people options.
None of the houses I have built have basements or could have under the old rules.   I was looking forward to doing some in my next project under the new rules with the extra height given under the New Zoning Bylaw.  Now before anyone has had a chance to build anything, mere weeks after adopting the new rules, our council wants to revert to the old rules.

Good, I say - there is a good reason for this.  I know there is a good reason.  I just cant think of what it is at the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment