Monday, October 10, 2011

Daphne's House - A place for everything


Good question the other day: "what are you in this for, what do you do"? Ella (not her real name) a concerned mum in Parkwood asked about my supportive housing YES petition:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?6025Upla&1

I said "Daphne is the reason I am doing this". I went on to say that 15 years ago I moved in on Parkwood Dr across from what became Cathedral Park. A big group of us neighbours built Cathedral Park and the playground there. It was a wonderful feeling of community, a special time, I knew this was where I wanted to be and have lived in the area ever since.

I had seen Daphne around for years, she would cruise around on her scooter towing her pudgy dog Shannon. I stopped and talked to her when I could. She used to be the head of nursing at the hospital, she collected things - nails from construction sites even. Her original 30 acres became the Parkwood neighbourhood leaving her on just the 1 remaining acre. By the time Daphne was serious about selling that 1 acre, I was serious about buying it - we made a deal and did it, last year. The property was a hoarders heaven, chock-a-block full of stuff. It took 21 dumpsters to clear the yard, 1 just for tires. Daphne had a place for everything including every creature under the sun. She saw value everywhere.

I could say alot more about Daphne and the reasons for me being here now. The simple fact is that I am here and I have an opportunity that an old lady blessed me with, to help build a neighbourhood including its strays.

Daphne died a few weeks ago on September 16. There was no service that I know of.

This just feels right.




No comments:

Post a Comment