Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Wet Housing support in North End

Good information gathering, good analysis - conclusion is.... I vote YES. I want the Uplands Housing project to happen and am willing to help.

I am in. I've seen enough with my own eyes to know it can work, that there are many good examples to follow both in selecting operators and tenants, that the support needed can be provided, that management can prevent problems, can manage the health & safety of the residents and can contribute positively to the neighbourhood.

If it was up to me, I'd pick an operator like CoolAid in Victoria with experience and a proven track record. I'd pick an operating model like either Fairway Woods in Langford or Olympic Vista in Saanich. That is something I'd be proud to be a part of.

My dad Tom Routledge Sr helped build St David's United Church in West Vancouver back in the early 1960's. I got married there. I remember my dad carrying us kids in the bucket of a front end loader he brought from his company Routledge Sand & Gravel. I still feel a connection to that neighbourhood to this day because of those efforts. It has always been a focal point of spiritual, mental & physical health. Maybe the Uplands Wet House (first order of business - find a new name) will be the opportunity to make a similar strong connection to the community I've lived in for 30 years. I'd certainly like it to be.

I did my checking - the experts have valid theories, the Housing First recipe is solid - I respect the delicate balance of human rights & intervention it carries.

Above all else - I have come to accept the meaning of the words "harm reduction". This is the efficiency, in real $ terms, of dealing with root problems instead of having Hospital Emergency Rooms and Jails plugged as a consequence. It is not only cheaper to provide housing first, it is better - for everyone. The cost to society is reduced, people get what they need - effectively & efficiently. It is the way big cities do things. Nanaimo has grown. Its time to walk the walk.

I do respect the decisions and actions others choose to make - thats the beauty of our system. I support that right to choose, to rally support and act accordingly. I intend to do just that.

I learned tonight that the opposition to the Bowen Road Wet House was more successful than I thought. I thought that the compromise brought forward by Councellor Bill Holdom was in fact a compromise - a timing adjustment. I thought that of the 5 projects that the city received funding commitments for, Dufferin would be #3, Uplands #4 and Bowen #5.

In fact this compromise, passed by council at the end of 4 days of angry public hearings was in fact an outright defeat - the funding has been lost. In the world of government handouts if you dont move it, you lose it. Ok, there is a good reason - I learn way better from my failures.

The long and short of it is that its not enough for me to just think it thru and approve of this idea - I have to want it and be prepared to give it some love and support. I do know one guy that might sign a petition in favour of it.

What else can I do?








No comments:

Post a Comment