Thursday, October 27, 2011

South End Neighbourhood Renewal Questions & my answers


The following is a copy of my response to an email at the very bottom of this post, a reply and then this further reply with the answers to the questions.  Please start from the bottom - there is a bit in the middle that I am hoping someone might want to see.

From: Jim Routledge <jim@jimroutledge.com>
Date: October 27, 2011 12:00:58 AM PDT
To: southendcommunityassociation@gmail.com
Cc: Goody Niosi <gniosi@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: South End Votes Blog - encouraging voting in the South End of the City
Good questions Ed - I thank you sincerely for the opportunity to answer them.  I hope you feel my response worthy of the questions - serious stuff there and I gave it my best shot.
Questions:
  1. a)Should services and resources to the disadvantaged be spread throughout the city or concentrated in one part of the city?  b)What is your position regarding the Uplands Supportive Housing Project?
  2. The South End recently completed its Official Neighbourhood Plan.  How do you see Council's role in supporting its implementation?
  3. How would you support our First Nations population in Nanaimo?


1) a) Yes, spread out - there are good reasons why this benefits i)the tenants, ii)neighbourhoods &  community. 
i) Tenants: Various providers specialize in different segments of the homeless population.  A variety of geographic locations facilitate suitable options for the entire homeless population.
ii)  Neighbourhoods:  Meeting social responsibilities comes with rewards on a neighbourhood & community level -emotional, spiritual & financial - benefits accrue to those that step up, get involved and find solutions.  The mechanisms that are set up, the processes including neighbourhood groups & connections also facilitate other sports, cultural and educational efforts - as well as funding for other initiatives becomes easier through these organizations and relationships

1) b)  I am in favour of exactly what the city proposes on its website.  I started the petition in favour of it http://www.PetitionOnline.com/6025Upla/petition.html


2) Wow - Good document - I was aware of it and of some of the general reasons for neighbourhood plans.  I reviewed this.  I dont know how to exactly address your question.  I picked out a few things that jumped out at me.  I hope if that tells you more about me and what my intentions might be with respect to the Plan. 

Neighbourhood History
The Snuneymuxw, a Coast Salish people, have lived on the Nanaimo Harbour for thousands of years.
The South End’s industrial heritage is the city’s most significant. At the time of its closure in 1938, the No. 1 Mine, located at the foot of Milton Street, was the oldest operating coal mine in British Columbia. Over 18 million tons of coal had been removed from beneath Nanaimo’s Harbour. During its 55 years of operation, the mine was the city’s biggest employer.

5.4 Social Enrichment and Culture
Communication and Partnerships
12 Increased communication between the City, the neighbourhood, School District #68 and the Snuneymuxw First Nation for purposes of communication and partnership on servicing, security, community building, planning and arts / culture initiatives is encouraged.

5.5 Environmental Protection and Enhancement
Sustainable Building Technologies
8 Development of the Assembly Wharf / CP Lands as a model sustainable, green neighbourhood in a manner similar to Vancouver’s Southeast False Creek or Victoria’s Dockside Green is encouraged.

The 9 pages (approaching 100 items) of  Section 7.3 Implementation Strategy are specific & measurable.  They are designed to be tracked and reviewed.

I need guidance on this whole thing - its been a particularly good question.  I am from the other end of town, so forgive me if I take some time to get up to speed on all areas.   If elected Mayor, I will devote time to this and probably go along with what is clearly a well thought out and seasoned approach.  I see no reason now to do anything other that is for sure.  I support the OCP sincerely, this is part of that so I support it too.

The question that I feel obliged to ask is "How do you want me to see councils role with it?  Get more involved, stay away. How has it been going?

3) WOW - the best for last.  The easiest (thank goodness) to answer.   I seek a mandate from the people of Nanaimo to offer to help Chief White & the Snuneymuxw Band in any efforts they might want to make to improve access to Newcastle Island.   This is the biggest part of my election platform.  I want to do this more than anything, for Nanaimo, for our community, for all of us.  I want to get to know our First Nation community, to listen and understand.  I know that helping them get what they want, will be an important step in getting what I want too.

Is there anything else I can do?

Regards
Jim Routledge  250 616 2151
Candidate for Mayor of Nanaimo 2011
www.jimroutledge.com
www.jimsworld2012.blogspot.com








Twitter: @JimRoutledge
FaceBook:  Jim Routledge for Mayor




Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:53 AM
To: South End
Subject: Re: South End Votes Blog - encouraging voting in the South End of the City

Good idea Ed - thanks for the opportunity.  I will submit my answers ASAP.  I am wondering if you might know a place where I can rent a meeting room for an Open House meet the Candidate session. 

I was hoping for next Wednesday after dinner.

The Moose Hall & the new Fire Hall can't help me

Do you know of anything ?

Regards

Jim Routledge cel 250 616 2151
Twitter: @JimRoutledge
Facebook:  Jim Routledge for Mayor


On 2011-10-26, at 8:55 AM, South End <southendcommunityassociation@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello 2011 Council Candidates:

We in the South End are very committed to neighbourhood renewal which means making our neighbourhood an inclusive community; promoting activities that support community health and development; growing and nurturing neighbourhood pride; working hand-in-hand with council and city staff and being grateful for their ongoing support of our renewal efforts.

To encourage voter participation in the South End, we are going to be using our "South End Votes" blog, (http://nanaimosouthendvotes.wordpress.com/).  We would appreciate if you, the candidates, would answer three questions of interest to those of us living in the South End.  In the 2008 election, we received over 4,000 blog hits on the South End Votes blog.  

If you could send us your answers to these three questions by November 5th, we will get them up on the South End Votes blog starting on November 6th.

The South End Community Association thanks you in advance for your participation in this voter participation exercise.

Sincerely, 





Ed Chan
Member
South End Community Association
167 Irwin St
250 753 1584



Questions:
  1. Should services and resources to the disadvantaged be spread throughout the city or concentrated in one part of the city?  What is your position regarding the Uplands Supportive Housing Project?
  2. The South End recently completed its Official Neighbourhood Plan.  How do you see Council's role in supporting its implementation?
  3. How would you support our First Nations population in Nanaimo?

No comments:

Post a Comment