Saturday, October 15, 2011

New Information!! on Who decides the Supportive Housing Operator

Good work Arlene - I like her already.  She said something last night in our first conversation that twigged a nerve with me.

Arlene Blundell is a name that rang a bell when I read about her joining the Council race.  I learned over dinner that she is an avid Arts & Culture person.  Arts & Culture is a place I go on occasion to balance my old George Carlin & Rolling Stones psyche.  I do a couple symphony sessions a year and jump on things like the recent visit of Mr. "Copper Head Road" - Steve Earle, now there is my cup of tea.              

A quick google found an email leading to a phone number and we were speaking just into the "it better be important" time of 9:30pm.  I sensed an energy of welcomed anticipation from Arlene, we hit it off comparing notes and thoughts.  She looks at different things than I do and also looks at the same things differently than I do.

The breaking news is I stand corrected about something.  Arlene added new information.  It is on the issue of Supportive Housing and what I said in my blog  (http://jimsworld2012.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-new-north-end-wet-house.html?spref=bl) on Sept 28 with respect to this point:

"I also learned that the final decision on the operator comes down to John (Horn) & head of the RCMP here.  There are of course many reports and reviews by committees & council but it will be these 2 people that  determine what we want to do for the next 60 years."


I sent an email last night to Al Kenning, the City manager, seeking clarification - what was his understanding?  I expected nothing in reply until at least Monday if at all - not only is he entitled some peace & quiet on a weekend, I have no formal role or responsibility in this matter.  I was indeed pleasantly surprised to find a note from him this morning:

 Jim, the decision on the operator will be made by the Province. The selection process is their process. City staff and RCMP will be kept informed and of course provide perspective but neither the City nor the RCMP are decision makers. Al


OK, this adds "new information" for me at least.   It changes the who.  It expands my interest.


My first impression is that this is good.  It opens up new connections. 


I'd like to chat with Mr Cantelon.  I met him once, about 3 years ago at a golf tournament.  We played in the same group and have the exact same set of clubs, thats about it - oh also there was that matter where I overstepped my role invited him to a meeting.  I realized my error and "backed up the truck" on that invitation.   I hope he has forgotten about that:)

I'll send him a note - connect, offer to help.

What else can I do?


One thing I will do is to put a note in the original Sept 28 blog post referencing this post.  Why should anyone reading that for the first time have to wait to find this new information?







No comments:

Post a Comment