Friday, October 21, 2011

Who will WIN in The Supportive Housing Debate


Who said: A society is measured by how it treats its weakest members

This has been stated in several ways for over 100 years by various indiviuals, including (but not limited to) Churchill, Pope John Paul II, Dostoyevsky, Truman, etc.
Very recently by Cardinal Roger Mahony (1998):
"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ; the last, the least, the littlest."

The past few weeks I have heard many concerns for the frail and weak, the impressionable and defenceless, and even the honored and decorated in this world, my world, Jimsworld.  I have listened and learned, for anything that I was missing, for new information.  

The feasibility study of the facility I like, has been in important hands, the question is has it been read, have people seen the hook that got me.  The hook was that one line that said ""General acceptance of tenants and the building by the neighbourhood"

I feel obliged to share some bigger thoughts - the "Why I think its good" thoughts,  the "whats in it for anyone" thoughts, the "WHO WINS" thoughts.   I had sat down with a very knowledgeable person on the "Stop the Drop" issue a couple months ago and had explained my feelings, that in general terms,  I can accept defeat on an issue if I can see that someone somewhere is getting something they want - that there is a net benefit to the community even if there is none to me or even a perceived cost to me.

So who wins here with the Uplands Supportive Housing - The no longer homeless tenants win, thats fairly obvious.  The construction community that gets to build it wins, again obvious.  The operators, support workers, building management people - there is work there for them.  The business that supply, fix & dispose things, they win.  Now it gets thinner.
I suggest the "industry of care providers" win because of extending the range of service. 

Kids win because they see their adult role models doing something, not just talking, not just preaching but actually moving, growing and changing something.

Elders win for much the same reasons - they see the adult population truly moving, not just writing a cheque - moving in a real tangible way towards the freedom & success wars were fought and won for.

Adults win because something important is off their list - making the kids & elders happy, being constructive, positive and responsible.

The community wins because they spend their money & time efficiently.

The neighbourhood wins because of being able to include, to be able to give, tolerate, welcome, & help.

I suggest we all win if a way can be found to make this work.

Now can we please move on - I do have another bridge to build :)


2 comments:

  1. Jim, the more you post nonsense like this, the more votes you lose. The elderly has made it very clear they are against this project, how do they win? The property line for the proposed Low Barrier house is 3 feet from the Seniors Village, again- how do they win? Children get to live by drug addicts, what a victory Jim. One thing that is for sure, you will not win the election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already live next door to a drug user and an alcoholic. They use whenever they wish in their house. Can all those protesters come to my house?

    Open your eyes and see that housing for the homeless helps to restore harmony throughout our community by helping people regardless of race, colour, or age.

    ReplyDelete