Thursday, October 20, 2011

Days of Pete Maffeo

Good to see some familiar faces at the pool this morning.  One was out of place though.

I have been a regular early morning pool guy pretty much since day 1, back in the 80's.  Then it was Beban Park only.  When the Aquatic Centre opened 10 years ago I switched over to it because of the gorgeous, gorgeous big hot pool.  Sometimes I have to switch back due to closures.  Faces have come & gone with a few regulars enduring, at each place.

I had an urge to visit Beban this morning to give a "Win with Jim" campaign button to Les, the first supporter of my Supportive Housing-Yes petition. http://www.PetitionOnline.com/6025Upla/petition.html   I met Les in the gym, did my workout and then went to the pool.   There I see Joe.  Joe is an Aquatic centre guy, a fellow hot tub snob.  I have learned little over the years about Joe other than he had a shoe repair business on Bowen near Northfield that closed 10 years ago when he retired.  This morning I asked him, why are you here.  He touches his eyes and speaks in a still deeply Hungarian accent: "my eyes", "walk from corner", "sickness".

It comes clear enough that 2 months ago he was diagnosed with Altheimers, that his vision & balance was failing, he had fallen.  He was coming here now because he could.  Driving was no longer an option.  I asked him if I could do anything.  He said no.  There was nothing I could do.

I asked him who was mayor when he came to Nanaimo.  He said Pete Maffeo.  This is before Frank Ney.  Joe has been here in Nanaimo for 54 years.  He came from Hungary in 1957, escaping the Communist system on his 4th border crossing attempt.  He said it was difficult to move but he did.  He owned and operated Simon Shoe Repair.

I told him that I was running for Mayor, that I want a bridge to Newcastle Island and places for the homeless.  He seemed to think that was ok but was really more concerned with trying to read the letters on my button.  I told him to keep the button, that my name was on it and if he needed anything to have someone call me.

It brought tears to my eyes to realize that I cant make Joe happy, I cant fix him or give him what he really wants.  I can only do the best I can do.




No comments:

Post a Comment