Tuesday, October 4, 2011

An Efficient Day

Good things started early yesterday. 6am at Beban Park gym I am on a stairmaster next to a stranger that I ask out of the blue - "what do you think of the wet house planned for Uplands" He lives nearby in Parkwood and totally supports it. He has worked in India, Pakistan and other places where people die in the streets. It was nice to hear a spark of support. I do want to support this. I just need to know the options and the best choice, the right choice.

By the way - if anyone ever wants to call me about anything I have written, done or claim - please do. I welcome constructive criticism, I need all the help I can get. If I have missed something, made a jump in logic or fact that escapes you, please let me know - call or text to 616 2151 finds me best.

We were 3 on this trip. Joining us was Dave Laberge, RCMP Nanaimo bicycle squad - 8 years cleaning up Nanaimo's downtown. He is calm & confident, skilled in dealing with the crime & violence, wise in ways foreign to me. We chatted on the way down to Victoria arriving at the Empress Hotel right on schedule at 10am. Our lunch & wet house tour was scheduled for noon but we needed to be early to give the City of Nanaimo's Nissan Leaf Electric Car enough time to recharge for the trip back to Nanaimo. We were welcomed by what seemed like the whole staff of the Empress - this was to be the first connection for their new charge station. Wayne & Angela & Eco Chic you are the best.


The extra time gave us the chance for a drop in coffee with John Horn's counterpart at Victoria city hall, I learned of the remarkable leadership role the Victoria Mayor played in moving Wet Housing along- going too far into staff business at times even. I can relate - how else do you know what far enough is?

John Crean from CoolAid joined us for lunch, he walked and drove us to several housing facilities they operate. I found another good example of a "wet"house that I could live with- Olympic Vista. It was a seniors oriented facility similar to "Fairway Woods" in Langford which we went to also, for me it was my second visit in a week. I learned about the remarkable roll that Langford's Mayor has had in moving things along in that area.

The trip back in the Leaf was uneventful. We crawled thru Colwood, bombed up the Malahat and cruised on home in time for dinner.
Electricity cost - return to Victoria - $3.50.

For the techies - here is the charge station read out from the Empress.




No comments:

Post a Comment